Needless to say, the anesthesia technician is one of the prominent members of the anesthesia care team, whose primary responsibility is to assist the anesthesiologist and other co-workers during the surgery or operation. By the word ‘assist’, I mean that the anesthesia tech will have to assemble and monitor the anesthesia equipments which will be required by the anesthesiologist to keep the patients sedated during the time of operation.
All the same, this is not the only job responsibility that the anesthesia technicians will be burdened with. As their experience increases, so does their responsibilities, though the ultimate authority is exercised by the anesthesiologist thanks to their 16 years of anesthesiologist schooling. So, if you are indeed aspiring to be an anesthesia technician, then you may find the following information quite useful as you will get to know in advance what type of duties you will have to bear.
Main Duties of an Anesthesia technician:
- Assembling the essential anesthesia equipments i.e. IV (intravenous) lines & pouches, gloves, sterile masks, X-ray, RAD and other necessary anesthetics amount.
- Operating as an aide to the anesthesia care team, especially to the anesthesiologist.
- Monitoring the anesthesia equipments all through the operation; this will generally involve cleaning, maintaining and troubleshooting those equipments.
- The tech must have a thorough knowledge of the electronic, mechanical and other lab tech equipments that will be in application during the operation.
- He/she will have to maintain the record of the anesthesia supplies used during the operation.
- To prepare in advance for emergency operations, the tech will have to keep a record of the operating room schedules. This way the operation may work out smoothly.
- The anesthesia technicians should also be well aware of the particular safety policies & procedures.
And, by the way, if the anesthesia technician has got appropriate training, then he/she may also be given the liberty to set up the IV apparatus, along with the clearance to explain the patient how & why the anesthesia will be applied.
Aesthesia Technician Salary:
Recommended Anesthesiologist Schools!
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography (General Concentration)
The Berkeley Advantage®is part of a proven approach to career-focused education that can help students prepare for success.
- Certificate in Patient Care Technician
- AAS , Surgical Technologist
- Certificate , Surgical Processing Tech
- Anesthesia Technology
- Surgical Technology
Get your career started with an education from Heritage College. We offer programs and degrees for a career as an x-ray medical technician, medical assistant, massage therapist, esthetician, surgical technologist, personal trainer, pharmacy technician, or cosmetologist.
- Personal Trainer- Associate
New England Institute of Technology is a private, non-profit, co-educational technical college offering over 30 Associate in Science, Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree programs. As a leader in Technical Career Education in southern New England, New England Tech is committed to providing hands-on technological programs that prepare graduates for positions of leadership in the technical, industrial, business, and allied health communities. Most of our associate degree programs can be completed in as little as 18 months, and bachelor’s degree programs in as little as three years.
- Associate in Science in Surgical Technology
- Limited Scope X-Ray Technician DIP
- Surgical Technology
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Radiologic Technology (AAS)
- Radiation Therapy (AS)
- Medical Laboratory Technology (AS)
Dallas-based Parker University, formerly known as Parker College of Chiropractic, is one of the world’s leading educators of health care professionals. Founded in 1982, this private, nonprofit, educational institution prepares men and women to become doctors of chiropractic. In addition, Parker University awards additional wellness-focused degrees including a Bachelor of Science with a major in Anatomy and a Bachelor of Science with a major in Health and Wellness, massage therapy certificates, and continuing education specializations and certifications.
- Associate of Applied Science with a major in Diagnostic Sonography
- Associate of Applied Science with a major in Radiologic Technology
- Surgical Technology - Associate
Now, if you have grasped the brief knowledge regarding the job description of an anesthesia tech (and if you are still determined to become one), then it’s time for us to delve into more important issues i.e. your salary. As a matter of fact, the salary of anesthesia technician will be ranging from the figures $25000 to $40,000 on yearly basis. You might be wondering about the vast fluctuation in the salary range and yes, it is your right to know why it is so. To come to the point, your salary is influenced by the factors such as experience, their technical, logistical & diagnostic skills, hired place and industry, administrative condition of the hiring industry as well as gender differences, under which the males are likely to have a higher salary than the females.
All the same, there are other ways to increase your salary expectations, among which the best way is, no doubt, accumulating more potential certificates and degrees- since, you know, knowledge is power. Being a graduate or taking a master’s degree is the required criteria for getting a decent salary. So, talking about further qualifications, an anesthesia technician who has passed the National Certification Exam in Anesthesia Technology (NCEAT) is given the title of Certified Anesthesia technician (CNT). Then, with 2 years of experience as CNT, one can take the exam to get the title of Certified Anesthesia Technologist.
Nowadays, there are a number of accredited colleges and university that are offering the facility to take online anesthesia technician training classes. And frankly speaking, this online schooling is rather economical than the traditional one, although the latter one is more effective. As a concluding note, let me add that if you are not interested in studying anesthesia tech, then there are other courses of study in anesthesiology field among which the best career profiles are registered nurse anesthetist, anesthesia assistant and the top ranked anesthesiologist. Whatever medical career profile you choose to embark upon, the good news is that, these days, the healthcare specialist don’t have to scrub hard to get a job.