Needless to say, the anesthesia technician is one of the prominent members of the anesthesia care team, whose primary responsibility is to assist the anesthesiologist and other co-workers during the surgery or operation. By the word ‘assist’, I mean that the anesthesia tech will have to assemble and monitor the anesthesia equipments which will be required by the anesthesiologist to keep the patients sedated during the time of operation.
All the same, this is not the only job responsibility that the anesthesia technicians will be burdened with. As their experience increases, so does their responsibilities, though the ultimate authority is exercised by the anesthesiologist thanks to their 16 years of anesthesiologist schooling. So, if you are indeed aspiring to be an anesthesia technician, then you may find the following information quite useful as you will get to know in advance what type of duties you will have to bear.
Main Duties of an Anesthesia technician:
- Assembling the essential anesthesia equipments i.e. IV (intravenous) lines & pouches, gloves, sterile masks, X-ray, RAD and other necessary anesthetics amount.
- Operating as an aide to the anesthesia care team, especially to the anesthesiologist.
- Monitoring the anesthesia equipments all through the operation; this will generally involve cleaning, maintaining and troubleshooting those equipments.
- The tech must have a thorough knowledge of the electronic, mechanical and other lab tech equipments that will be in application during the operation.
- He/she will have to maintain the record of the anesthesia supplies used during the operation.
- To prepare in advance for emergency operations, the tech will have to keep a record of the operating room schedules. This way the operation may work out smoothly.
- The anesthesia technicians should also be well aware of the particular safety policies & procedures.
And, by the way, if the anesthesia technician has got appropriate training, then he/she may also be given the liberty to set up the IV apparatus, along with the clearance to explain the patient how & why the anesthesia will be applied.
Aesthesia Technician Salary:
Recommended Anesthesiologist Schools!
- Anesthesia Technology
- Surgical Technology
American Career College (ACC) offers hands-on training that will prepare students for careers in the healthcare industry at three campuses in Los Angeles, Ontario, and Orange County, California. ACC's programs combine classroom lectures and hands-on training to prepare students for a Diploma or Associate of Occupational Science degree.
- Associate of Occupational Science in Surgical Technology
Get hands-on training with Brookline College. We offer diploma and degree programs in the areas of health care, business, nursing, criminal justice, paralegal, and computer security. We understand that today's student is busy with many responsibilities, so we offer day, evening, and online classes, giving you options to fit school into your schedule.
- Diploma - Patient Care Technician
- Multi-Skill Health Technician
- Surgical Technology
Discover the power of ONE COURSE A MONTH® to fit education into your busy life. Brown Mackie College’s ONE COURSE A MONTH® schedule lets you focus on your course work one subject at a time.
- Associate of Applied Science in Surgical Technology
Our career-focused programs and flexible class schedules make Southeastern a great choice for busy working adults. Small classes ensure personalized attention for each student, and you will gain career skills in an educational environment that simulates the workplace, so you can begin using your education immediately on the job.
- AS in Surgical Technology
Miami-Jacobs Career College (MJCC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
Miami-Jacobs Career College (MJCC) will help you choose your ideal career before you get started and assist with real-world employment after you’re done with school. We have a wide range of resources to help you every step of the way.
- Surgical Technology - Associate of Applied Science
- Healthcare Technology - Associate of Occupational Science
- Surgical Technology - Associate of Occupational Science
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Surgical Technologist
- Medical Assisting with Basic X-Ray Operation
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Imaging Administration, Radiologic Technology, Vascular Sonography, Nuclear Medicine, and Clinical Imaging , BS
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography, AS
- Radiation Therapy, AS
- And more...
Now, if you have grasped the brief knowledge regarding the job description of an anesthesia tech (and if you are still determined to become one), then it’s time for us to delve into more important issues i.e. your salary. As a matter of fact, the salary of anesthesia technician will be ranging from the figures $25000 to $40,000 on yearly basis. You might be wondering about the vast fluctuation in the salary range and yes, it is your right to know why it is so. To come to the point, your salary is influenced by the factors such as experience, their technical, logistical & diagnostic skills, hired place and industry, administrative condition of the hiring industry as well as gender differences, under which the males are likely to have a higher salary than the females.
All the same, there are other ways to increase your salary expectations, among which the best way is, no doubt, accumulating more potential certificates and degrees- since, you know, knowledge is power. Being a graduate or taking a master’s degree is the required criteria for getting a decent salary. So, talking about further qualifications, an anesthesia technician who has passed the National Certification Exam in Anesthesia Technology (NCEAT) is given the title of Certified Anesthesia technician (CNT). Then, with 2 years of experience as CNT, one can take the exam to get the title of Certified Anesthesia Technologist.
Nowadays, there are a number of accredited colleges and university that are offering the facility to take online anesthesia technician training classes. And frankly speaking, this online schooling is rather economical than the traditional one, although the latter one is more effective. As a concluding note, let me add that if you are not interested in studying anesthesia tech, then there are other courses of study in anesthesiology field among which the best career profiles are registered nurse anesthetist, anesthesia assistant and the top ranked anesthesiologist. Whatever medical career profile you choose to embark upon, the good news is that, these days, the healthcare specialist don’t have to scrub hard to get a job.